How to: Exfoliating Shower Scrub with Essential Oils
Not too long ago, we made an exfoliating salt and pepper shower shaker.
Today we're going to spice things up by adding nigella seeds and – because several of you have asked me if it was possible to incorporate essential oils – we're going to see about adding our favorite scent blend.
Shower Shaker ContainersI've been fiddling around with shower shaker containers, and the one pictured above has become one of my absolute faves. This is little lunch-box sized food-safe plastic container with a screw-top lid that my husband kindly drilled a bunch of holes into.
It's super easy to refill and clean as well and has an additional fabulous function I will be sharing with you before too long, so if you have been longing for a bit of bathtub luxury in your shower, you might want to get busy making your own version.
Adding Essential OilsWhen adding essential oils to a product like this, it's important to use the right combination of ingredients.
There is a 'modified tapioca starch' sold by cosmetics ingredients suppliers called Natrasorb Bath. This is not the same as ordinary tapioca starch (which is available practically everywhere).
Natrasorb Bath was developed to 'carry' a large amount of oils and disperse them safely into water. Although I have tested this formula with alternative ingredients, Natrasorb Bath performs optimally. If you simply can't get hold of it, an organic tapioca starch will also function.
Pictured below: ingredients added to bowl complete with smiling nigella seeds.
LisaLise’s Spicy Shower Shaker with Essential Oils
|A||Essential Oil Blend||2||0.071|
|B||Salts of Choice||240||8.47|
|B||Ground Nigella Seeds||10||0.35|
|B||Skimmed Milk Powder||15||0.53|
|B||Grated Cocoa Butter||15||0.53|
- Crush/grind nigella seeds and test that they will not scratch the skin by rubbing in palms. If you find them a bit too sharp, filter the seeds through a sieve. Save the part that didn't make it through the sieve for a baked bread or infuse them into oil for another fabulous skincare project.
- Weigh out ingredients
- Place Natrasorb Bath in bowl and place the bowl on a scale
- Set scale to 0 and weigh in essential oil blend
- Stir thoroughly to mix
- Add remaining ingredients and stir thoroughly
- Transfer to bag, shut bag and shake to mix fully
- Transfer mixture to an airtight container for storage until use
Check this post for a step by step how to on using a shower shaker and be amazed at your water-saving and sustainable planet-friendliness while showering!
If you want to stay updated on what's going on in the LisaLise lab and be the first to get the scoop, please sign up for my newsletter.