Make-up: Making Mascara From Urtegaarden
I knew exactly what she meant and told her I made my own from a mascara starter kit. By chance, I had just done up a batch for myself and gave her one of 'mine' to try. Later, when Christmas wish lists were circulating, she had added 'LisaLise mascara' to her wish list.
1. The mascara was obviously a hit
Two things to be happy about
2. I was flattered that she remembered this mascara as mine even though I admittedly use a kit.
Ready To Give DIY Mascara a Try?Here's a step by step on how easy it is to make a mascara using Urtegaardens starter kit. (The name Urtegaarden translates loosely to 'The Herb Farm')
What's Inside the Package3 mascara containers
wooden stick (to fill the syringe)
cup with mascara base
Instructions (in Danish - but if you want to buy the kit from them and don't speak the lingo, just follow the instructions in this post and you're covered)
1. TransferTransfer the base to a bowl. Tip: even though the mascara has preservative, it's a real good idea to use clean/sterile equipment throughout.
2. Add Color and StirAdd the pigment. Note: there is only black included in the package. If you want to get experimental with color, buy additional pigments when ordering the kit.
CAREFULLY fold the pigment into the base (it's a very fine powder that just loves to travel around the room, stick to your clothes, and fly up your nose if you give it half a chance). As soon as the pigment is incorporated, stir until the mixture is even.
3. Filling The SyringeOpen the package with the syringe and remove the insert. Attach the rubber tube to the end of the syringe (it's a tight fit, so you have to 'roll' it on little by little). The tube is your best friend when it comes time to fill the containers. It allows you to fill 'from the bottom up' and gives you complete and utter control (love the tube!). Fill the syringe with mascara using the wooden stick, working it down into the syringe. Carefully place the insert back on the syringe (don't push down yet).
4. Filling The ContainersInsert the tube to the bottom of a container and slowly fill. As the container fills, lift the tube out. Doing this with a relatively smooth motion will help avoid air pockets.
You will need to refill the syringe twice before you are finished. This part can get a bit messy. Be prepared to go through a few paper towels before you finish.
Suggestion for Urtegaarden: consider including a larger syringe so it is only necessary to fill one time. This would make the entire process easier and a lot less messy (which is incredibly encouraging for first timers). Even if a bigger syringe makes the kit a bit more costly, I know I would still happily pay for it.
The ResultBecause I am always on the lookout for make-up and cosmetics containers, I used a couple of my own for this batch. The one on the left is from the starter kit.
Time from start to finish (including clean-up and breaks for taking photos): 45 minutes
Urtegaardens Price Per KitDkk 89
$ 16 (USD)
Find the mascara starter kit right here.