|A correctly mixed mask|
You will need the following
- Water (preferrably demineralized)
- Rhassoul clay (also known as Moroccan Soap Clay)
- Jojoba 'oil' (accept no substitutes. Jojoba is excellent for hair and scalp care)
- Rosemary Essential Oil (this is optional but definitely worth hunting for. Rosemary essential oil is exceptionally good for the hair and scalp. Be sure you are buying 100% essential oil and not a 'scent oil'. There is a world of difference!)
If you have long hair, you will need to make a larger portion. This portion is for short to medium-length hair
- Fill 1/3 of a small (approx 1 cup) container with the liquid
- Add clay until the container is approx 2/3 full. For an easy to work with, lump-free mixture, let the clay soak into the water – without stirring – until the clay has absorbed all the water. The ideal consistency for this mask is thick.
- Add approx teaspoon and a half of the jojoba.
- Add 5 drops (no more!) Rosemary essential oil to the mixture. (Note: Essential oils are powerful concentrates and must be handled with care. Do NOT apply essential oil directly on the skin)
- Stir well (to distribute the essential oil) until the consistency is even
Applying and Removing the Mask
- Wet hair, then blot dry
- Apply the mask mixture to hair by hand (the mixture should be so thick that stays where it is applied)
- Let sit for 15 minutes*, then rinse out. As you are rinsing, massage the clay-mixture around as you would a shampoo.
- Dry and set your hair as usual.
Note: Do NOT use shampoo to remove this mask! There is a reason rhassoul is called 'soap clay'. It cleans both skin and hair gently and effectively. If you do a 'sqeak test' on your hair as you rinse out, you will find that your hair is squeaky clean, but not so much that it feels dry.
Tip: The rinsing out process is a bit messy (it's mud for heavens sake.. it's gotta be a little messy). You may find it easier to rinse out over a bathtub or in the shower.
* If you want to take the time and trouble, wrap your hair in a heated towel while the mask is in your hair. This will boost the effect of the ingredients.