Developing Deodorant for Purists
I started working on this deodorant project at the beginning of the year and promised you progress reports, so here's a quick update on this post from March.
Purist Deodorant Main GoalTo create the ultimate, effective all-natural deodorant using only botanical ingredients.
The Deodorant Must
- provide all day protection from body odor
- be made from easily sourceable ingredients
- be easy to make in a DIY setting
- be newbie friendly to make
- not stain clothing
Even better if it
- is well tolerated by even very sensitive skin types
- can be applied immediately after shaving without problem
- is not messy to apply
- offers some sweat control
- is preservative free (a tough one, but we might as well reach for the moon while we're at it)
Numerous batches have been made and tested, and there has been a lot of armpit sniffing going on around this house for months.
Likewise, my stack of light-colored test t-shirts has grown proportionately (light color shows stains best - especially the kind that don't wash out)
Spoiler AlertAll of the musts and a few of the 'even betters' have been solved.
I have been testing several different combinations of botanicals - some of which are bowl-me-over amazingly effective while others are effective-but-difficult-to-work-with either in the scent or staining dept.
The winning formula(s) is/are going to be included in an upcoming publication that I hope will be embraced by even the most green-thinking purists.
And on that note, I'd like to take a moment to thank all you hard core green purists.
Not only have you been the inspiration for creating an effective 100% botanical deodorant, but you have inspired this entire upcoming publication.