Case Study: The Ultimate Mascara - Take Three
This frightening scene is the aftermath of trying to fill a mascara container with a syringe that was far too small for the job.
You: Why did you use a syringe that was too small for the job?
Me: Because I had run out of the size I normally use and didn't realize until after I had started making this batch.
Despite the messy worktable above, enough of batch 3 made it into the container to be tested.
Lucky thing too. This mascara is really getting close – so close that I A/B tested it against a commercial brand mascara (by Elizabeth Arden) for an entire day.
We'll get into that in a sec. First, here's a close-up of batch 3 applied to one eye in 1 layer.
The pigments I used for this batch consisted of 50% activated charcoal (as used in batch 1) mixed with 50% brown pigment mix (as used in batch 2).
The base formula has been adjusted, but without sacrificing any of the actives (hydrolized wheat protein, panthenol, caffeine).
HOW IT TESTED
- Good texture to work with
- Good color intensity
- Goes on smoothly
- Easy to layer up
- Easy to remove
- Doesn't smudge
The less positive:
- Takes a tad too long to dry upon application
- Some flaking off of color after hours of wear
How it Stacked Up Against Elizabeth Arden (Ceramide Lash Extending Mascara)To test, I applied 'Liz Arden' to one eye and mine to the other and wore all day. The color, build-up and feel were so similar I couldn't see or feel any difference upon application. It wasn't until some hours later that the difference became evident. Mine started flaking off (but nowhere nearly as badly as batch one).
ConclusionIf I can crack that bit of flaking color, we should be ready to rock and roll. I've already got an idea of what to do to adjust the formula and am on my way back to the lab to give it a whirl.
Extra NoteWhile developing and testing all these batches, I have been using only less-than-ideal mascara containers with lame-o application brushes from Urtegaarden (sorry Urtegaarden, but this really is the only product you carry that is sub standard). The good containers I have found and plan to use are pricey pricey pricey, so I'll be saving those for the final batch.